Trooper Travis' Page

Advice From A Real NY State trooper

Failure to Stop for School Buses

by Travis Hall on March 25, 2016 in Trooper

Under Vehicle and Traffic Law 1174(a), drivers are required to stop for school buses that have their red lights flashing or their stop signs out and are picking up or discharging passengers. Failing to stop can have serious consequences, including 5 points on your license, up to a month in jail, and fines of up […]

Move Over Law

by Travis Hall on December 27, 2015 in Trooper

New York’s Move Over law (VTL 1144-a) requires drivers to slow down and move over for police cars, hazard vehicles, and any other emergency vehicles displaying amber lights. Since the law was enacted in 2011, it has been strongly enforced by police officers. We asked Trooper Travis Hall for his perspective and advice on how […]

Buzzed Drinking and Driving

by Travis Hall on October 27, 2015 in Trooper

Consider this scenario: You and your spouse go out to dinner. You’ve had only one glass of wine and you’re feeling fine, so you drive home. On the way, you get into a fender bender and the next thing you know, a police officer is administering a breathalyzer test and you get charged with a […]

Seat Belt and Child Seat Tickets

by Travis Hall on October 14, 2015 in Trooper

Studies show that safety awareness is increasing, with a record 92% of New Yorkers regularly wearing seat belts, but that still leaves approximately 8% of the population at risk for a seat belt ticket. What are police looking for when they issue seatbelt or child seat citations? We asked Trooper Travis about his experiences with […]

Four Common Myths About Cell Phone Usage While Driving in NY

by Travis Hall on August 17, 2015 in Trooper

In an effort to deter cell phone usage while driving, New York State Police are using newer and more effective methods to catch distracted drivers, including designated patrol cars, periodic texting ticket blitzes, and enforcement initiatives like Operation Hang Up. However, even with these efforts cell phone usage and texting while driving are still big […]

Is Your Car Causing You to Get Pulled Over for Speeding in NY?

by Travis Hall on June 26, 2015 in Trooper

Does the type of car you drive influence how likely you are to get a speeding ticket?  There have been long-standing rumors that certain cars are more likely to get stopped by police officers. While some of these rumors have truth to them, experience has shown that others do not live up to the hype. […]

Do PBA Cards Really Work?

by Adam Rosenblum on June 19, 2013 in Trooper

“PBA” stands for the Police Benevolent Association and nearly every police officer in the United States is a member.Friends and family members of police officers will sometimes be issued a PBA Courtesy Card. A PBA card will usually have printed on it, “The bearer of this card is a supporter of the PBA and you […]

Do I Need To Hire an Attorney

by Sam on May 17, 2013 in Trooper

You’ve recently gotten a traffic ticket and now you are asking yourself this very question. When the police officer gave you the ticket, he explained what sounded like a simple process for answering this ticket. This “process” even allowed for you to respond by mail and it appears to eliminate any “red tape”, allowing you […]

Automated License Plate Readers

by Adam Rosenblum on April 30, 2013 in Trooper

When you step out of the house and into your car, you have no right to privacy when you travel in public.  The places you travel with your car are open to the public and anyone can ‘tail’ you while you are driving and keep an eye out as to where you go. Although this […]